Sunday, December 6, 2015

Sometimes You Have to Remind Yourself That You Are Strong

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about the person I was in college and the person I'm becoming. If it's not obvious as to the difference with that sentence, then think about it. Transitioning into this adult type person has taken a toll on the happy student I used to be. Not to say that I can't find happiness or I'm not entirely happy, but if you opened up the dictionary and looked up the word pessimist, then I would be surprised if my picture was not there under the 1st definition. I'm not the most optimistic person on the planet by far but I also really try not to attempt to disprove a good thing.



Life has made me very cautious for reasons and excuses but I surprised myself a couple weeks ago. Mockingjay part 2 came out and I was ready to go finish the saga. I read the books a couple times before the movie was even thought of and honestly it's a pretty good representation of the series unlike a certain vampire series, just saying. The only problem was I initially didn't have anyone to go with. The few friends I have left in the area were both working and my boyfriend isn't huge on movies. I'll drag him if necessary but even he was unavailable. So I thought about it, can I go to the movies on my own???

Going to the movies alone is like going to eat alone. It goes against the societal norms because these particular activities are things that are generally done in a party of at least 2 because it's a social act. I had to think back to a particular time in college when New Moon came out. Yes, I was a total fan girl of the Twilight series and I had the stamina to go to every midnight release. But no one could go and that was not a small group of friends. It took me a split second to tell myself that well I'm going to go anyways because duh!

My mentality told me that if I could do it then, I can do it now. And I did, the theatre was packed and there was me with my small popcorn and pickle, because duh. Normally it would have been a pain to find a seat but because it was just me, then I had some pretty good choices. Planted myself and was on top of the world. It reminded me that sometimes you are ok to do things yourself. It was a risk I hadn't taken in a long time and I wasn't sure if I was going to take it again but I'm super glad I did.

One thing that hasn't changed in this life transition is that I'm strong and independant. Granted, sometimes I take it to a fault but one thing that every person, and I think especially women have to do is remember that we are who we decide we are. I think things like this are a testament of our strength and some self care. Take yourself out to dinner because you can treat yourself. Take yourself out to a movie because you can watch whatever you want and talk back to the screen shamelessly. I am strong and rest will follow and the same can be said for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment