Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Thoughts on Adulting

During this insanely busy month, the weather has changed and things are starting to slow down and thanks to Amazon Prime, I can basically binge watch one of my favorite tv shows, Sex and the City. I don’t have to explain the fabulousness of this iconic show.  Yea when it started, I was in elementary but I know that I’m not the only one who finds this show completely relevant to the world of women that not a lot of today’s shows have.

But while I was in the thresholds of season 2, the episode of going to the Hamptons with all the twenty something’s had me thinking about how far I had come as an “adult”. I’m 25 now and parts of me feel like an adult and there are parts that have me feeling like I’m still an 18 year old college freshman. Some aspects are exaggerated and there’s still a lot more that’s pretty on point.  Nina G’s party may have looked great and wild but handling pressure when things don’t go smoothly is something that only come from experience. I’ll give Nina G some props for branching out and doing her own thing, however comma, after how she quit Samantha’s firm, karma had put her in her place.



Experience trumps all when it comes to adulting and it’s taken me a while to find out that while there are days like today, where I’m feeling like I’m busy but on point, I can’t forget that I was still almost late from not getting out of bed on time. I think adulting comes slowly over time but the kicker is that you have to do something that gives you experience.  I liked to tell my friends in college who were hesitant about trying new things like wearing a tube top in public or sneaking out the dorm back door to avoid her parents, that ten or fifteen years from now when either your children or someone close to you has children who can come to you seeking advice, what do you want to be able to tell them? That you stayed inside went to bed promptly at nine and declined a spontaneous day trip to the city because you didn’t have parental permission?

We know that life is what we make it and I had some great times as a college kid and now, I can feel the adulting coming in and some days, the top excitement is binge watching SATC online. And sometimes, the awesome special times, I can get days in a place I’ve never been to do whatever I want. If that’s drinking a 48 oz daiquiri walking around the old strip in Vegas during the day and seeing Metallica that night, I can. (and I did and it was amazing.) It’s very easy to get caught up in work and life during this road into adulthood and I find myself doing it a lot. I can’t count the times that I’ve said that whoever glorified being an adult needs to be punched in the face with a chair because yea it’s hard but I find more now that I need to remind myself that it’s going to be worth it.

At least that’s what my plan is as I enter my later twenties and break that threshold into my thirties. Gotta get that experience one way or another because I’m too young to have the regrets I have. I have enough shoulda-woulda-coulda’s. Life isn’t easy and it certainly doesn’t get easier while learning the ropes of adulthood, but it’s all about getting that experience. I may not know where I’m going right in my life but I know where I’ve been and I know that I have to keep going forward and when I forget that, I look at this quote that I found on Pinterest via the Google, and it helps. Maybe it’ll help you too.



And remember to have a little fun because no one is too old for that, it’s like Disney movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment