Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Do What Scares You


There comes a point and time, I think, for a lot of people where you become stuck in your routine, however routine-y that may be. I know it has for me because my routine for a really long time was work, home, boyfriend time occasionally, sleep, and repeat. It’s come to that point where the majority of my friends have moved on to their lives and we’re scattered across the country or even just scattered at work all day in the next town over. Work hours have kept me from keeping in touch with a lot of the groups I was in in college, namely my theatre group. I remember not long after I started my job I auditioned and was in a show and I didn’t have the best memories for that show. I was proud that I was able to do it and I learned a lot about myself but that was the last performance for me on the stage.

I came across this post on the Facebook from a friend who’s become her own little entrepreneur in town and it struck a chord with me.




Talk about a brick wall. A little backstory on me is that I’d been performing since I was five, dancing, singing, and in college acting and backstage work. Then I came into the workforce; everything just stopped. And I’ve wanted to try things but I fall into that category when I get home between 5:30 and 7pm, I don’t want to be out and about or around people for a while. “I’m tired and I don’t have a lot of time.” 

Then I ran into a few friends from a show that changed my life and talked me into doing a show. I can admit that I’m scared about it. My voice lessons have left my voice. My lungs aren’t as strong as they used to be and where I was not usually a person with stage fright, I don’t know what will happen when I get back on there.When I wanted to call and back out of the show, which, trust me, was a lot, I would think back to this pic.

So now I’m still in it. I’m panting in the choreography for our opening number to make sure I’m on time and have enough air to sing and I’ve started walking so that it will lead to jogging to get my cardio because girl….



We all need something to remind us that we are working to live and not living to work. I found that we need something to keep us grounded in who we are. Your work isn’t who you are. At least it isn’t for me. My work is very technical and I miss being creative. So this show may seem small to some but for me, this is as big as Broadway. Don’t be afraid to do what scares you, because life is too short and like this post, you are Strong.





Had you read my last post


No comments:

Post a Comment