Thursday, November 6, 2014

OMG I'm Fat....Really? Really now?

There's this thing that happens. Ten million times more than it should. And for some reason it's always around me. (And by me I mean anyone at a size 12+) It starts with one and spreads faster than yawning or the flu. The words are so few and yet soooo annoying causing actual nails to dig holes in the actual chalk board of the brain.

"I'm so fat."
Following up with, "I need to go on a diet, look at this gut." (proceed to poke skin)

We have all heard it from too many people to count, granted more from the girls rather than guys but the point is that it is heard. And a majority are relatively healthy or the type who like the affirmation from everyone else about how good they look.........

What they don't think about is how their 'self deprecating non-humor' affect the people around them. Something my mom always told me was that what you do affects everyone around you, not just you.
Every time I hear this, I'm always taken aback a little bit. If they think this way about themselves, how do they see me?

Then I found this...


Keywords, YOUR THOUGHTS. Not there's. We all get caught up in what others think of us and if you read my last post, you know that I've been swimming in it lately. But this conversation came up at work with some of the same people and it struck a nerve. A nerve that doesn't lead me to my dark bedroom under my covers with tissues. It's a nerve that strikes fire in my eyes from my temper that kind of brings me back to a sense of normalcy.

We all have our own issues with our bodies and that's our own business HOWEVER Comma, we as women should not tear ourselves down to bring someone else up. It took me a long time to be comfortable with who I am and what I have. I have my own things to work on but I don't broadcast it out to the world with my flaws because you know what? I have a body with curves, more curves than a lot of others, and you know what I am ok with that. I have top and bottom and stuff in between. I don't strive for a thigh gap or to fit in all the clothes on the runway. I will NOT feel worse about myself so someone else, known or not, can feel better about themselves. That's not my job.

I'm striving to return my happiness to myself. And that can only happen by me. The same way it can only happen to anyone. Too many times we are our own worst enemy and the 'I'm fat' things don't help one iota. We gotta take it back ladies. We need to be our own best friend, biggest cheer leader, and motivational back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment