Monday, October 6, 2014

The "Sexiest" Subway Commercial...yea right.

So if you haven't seen it or heard about it yet, you will. Besides the ebola crisis, the protests in China, and Isis running amok, what is grabbing the controversial scene is the new commercial from Subway.
 Take a look...

Sexy Subway Commercial via Youtube

I remember seeing it and thinking wow, someone needs to put that one clip from Mean Girls where Kady has her realization about the modern day Halloween night.

People are calling it sexist and size-ist. In some ways I can see that. The first thing that stood out to me was the line, "you guys are eating burgers?" As much as I hate it, people watch what each other eat all the time and even more so when they happen to be bigger than the magazine model. I try my best to not watch what my friends order but even I am guilty of it. People have commented on my choices with good intentions and usually met with unrealistic scenarios in my head, you know.

I love me some Subway, I don't feel terrible about eating there and I love fresh veggies on my sandwich and love even more that I don't have to make it. But this commercial kinda sucked. It reminded me that no I don't have the body to wear the classic 'sexy' costumes nor am I comfortable wearing a skirt that could turn into a free show at any breeze's whim outside. Halloween used to be super fun and it was about creativity and not who can show more skin without cosplay. I'll probably spend my Halloween with my boyfriend with awesome scary movies and handing out candy in the neighborhood I live in because even thought my town is a college town, it's not the whole town and some people have to go to work the morning after leaving no room for a hangover. Just sayin.

Everyone knows how important it is to be fit and healthy but sorry Subway, this was not the way to do it. It emphasizes, insert sarcasm, the 'need' to lose weight and the 'acceptable' form of sexy. It's not ok. It's not that I don't have a sense of humor, because the guy at the end in his viking costume made me laugh, but my overall feeling could best be summed up with a facepalm.

Being healthy does not mean being skinny just as being skinny doesn't mean you are healthy. Health and fitness isn't just about the size of the Halloween costume 'after summer', it's about taking the body you were born with and making sure it is the best it can be. It's not easy, everyone knows that. I, myself, struggle with it everyday.

So love it or hate it, there's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment